Alarm (Ranger Poultice)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Level: Ranger 1
- School: Abjuration
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V, S, F (A tiny bell and a piece of very fine silver wire, worth 10 gp.)
- Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./two lvls)
- Target or Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on a point in space
- Duration: Until the end of your next full night's rest
- Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: No
- This poultice is a hearty blend of ground nuts and aromatic spices. The holder must smear the poultice into and over a tiny bell and a fine wire, which dissolves the bell and wire and causes the plaster to warm up and begin gently steaming. Tossing the poultice on the ground or throwing it to stick to an immobile object wards an area. Alarm creates a subtle ward on an area 9 x 9 x 9 squares that originates from a square you select within range. Once the activated poultice is in place, it thereafter sounds a mental or audible alarm each time a creature of Tiny or larger size enters the warded area or touches it, triggering all effects below and ending the spell. A creature that speaks the password (determined by the holder at the time of activation) does not set off the Alarm. The holder decides at the time of casting whether the Alarm will be mental or audible in nature.
- Mental Alarm: A mental Alarm alerts the holder (and only them) so long as they remain within spell range of the warded area. They note a single mental "ping" that awakens them from normal sleep but does not otherwise disturb concentration. Magical silence does not interfere with the mental alarm's ability to alert the holder.
- Audible Alarm: An audible Alarm produces the sound of a hand bell, and anyone within 60 feet of the warded area can hear it clearly. Reduce the distance by 10 feet for each interposing closed door and by 20 feet for each substantial interposing wall.
- In quiet conditions, the ringing can be heard faintly as far as 180 feet away. The sound lasts for 1 round. Magical silence can block an audible alarm.
- Creatures affected by Cloistered, Displaced, Exiled, or Fogged do not trigger the Alarm. Likewise, Ethereal or Astral creatures do not trigger the Alarm, though Invisible creatures do.
- In addition, one time, immediately after the Alarm is triggered, the caster of the spell may choose one creature within the area of effect, and inflict (Circle 1 damage): 1d6 points of damage per character level (max 4d6 at character level 4) of bludgeoning (physical, common) damage to that unfortunate, as well as inflict the Quelled condition on that creature, as a swift action. If a save is made as described above, the damage is halved, but the Quelled condition is not affected. Note that it is possible to cast this spell during combat, in which case it immediately triggers as soon as any creature enters it or touches anywhere in the area of effect, and then as a swift action, the damaging effect can be applied to that creature or any other creature in the area of effect.