Charm Person (Bard Spell)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Level: Bard 1
- School: Enchantment
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V, S
- Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./two lvls)
- Target or Area: one Humanoid creature
- Duration: Until the end of your next full night's rest
- Saving Throw: Will negates
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You speak to a Humanoid, in an open and friendly way, as your words take on a strange pace and cadence while your hands slip gently through a series of gestures. This is not obvious, but you are working the casting of a charm into your conversation. Anyone who observes this process who is not the target of the spell will notice you are doing something, although they may not know exactly what. Charms are best used in private.
- This charm makes one Humanoid creature (to include all Player Character races except Kitsune, Mallori, and Vanx) regard you as its trusted friend and ally (treat the target's attitude as friendly). If the creature is currently being threatened or attacked by you or your allies, the spell automatically fails. Intimidate rolls and charm spells do not mix.
- The spell does not enable you to control the charmed creature as if it were an automaton (see Dominate spells), but it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way. You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Diplomacy check against the creature's Sense Motive to convince it to do anything it wouldn't ordinarily do. (Retries are not allowed.) An affected creature never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders, but it might be convinced that something very dangerous is worth doing. Any act by you or your apparent allies that threatens the charmed person breaks the spell. You must speak the creature's language to communicate your commands.
- Note: The Charm spell makes the target your friend for the duration of the spell. Once the spell expires, it is likely, depending upon the actions the friendly creature took and their awareness that you have used magic on them, that they will become hostile. While the spell lasts it will treat you kindly (although maybe not your allies) and will generally help you as long as your interests align. All interactions are adjudicated by the GM. For example, if you use Charm Person to befriend an Orc, the Orc might share his grog with you and talk with you about the upcoming raid on a nearby settlement. If you asked him to help you fight some Skeletons, he might very well lend a hand. If you asked him to help you till a field, however, you might need to make that check to convince him to do it.
- This spell lays an arcane charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane charge on you, the caster. Targets which already have an arcane charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge can ever be present on a target at a time.
Mana Burn Circle Damage
|Spell Circle||Burn Cost||Req'd Char Level||Base Dice||Max Dice|
|0||N/A||N/A||1d4 per 2 character levels||max of 4d4 at character level 8|
|1||N/A||1st||1d6 per character level||max of 4d6 at character level 4|
|2||+1||3rd||1d6 per character level||max of 6d6 at character level 6|
|3||+1||5th||1d6 per character level||max of 10d6 at character level 10|
|4||+1||7th||1d6+1 per character level||max of 12d6+12 at character level 12|
|5||+1||9th||1d6+1 per character level||max of 15d6+15 at character level 15|
|6||+1||11th||1d6+2 per character level||max of 16d6+32 at character level 16|
|7||+1||13th||1d6+2 per character level||max of 20d6+40 at character level 20|
|8||+1||15th||1d6+3 per character level||max of 21d6+63 at character level 21|
|9||+1||17th||1d6+3 per character level||max of 25d6+75 at character level 25|
|10||+1||19th||1d6+4 per character level||max of 25d6+100 at character level 25|
|11||+1||21st||1d6+5 per character level||max of 25d6+125 at character level 25|
|12||+1||23rd||1d6+6 per character level||max of 27d6+162 at character level 27|
|13||+1||25th||1d6+7 per character level||max of 27d6+189 at character level 27|
|14||+1||27th||1d6+8 per character level||max of 29d6+232 at character level 29|
|15||+1||29th||1d6+9 per character level||max of 29d6+261 at character level 29|
|16||+1||31st||1d6+10 per character level||max of 30d6+300 at character level 30|
|17||+1||33rd||1d6+11 per character level||max of 30d6+330 at character level 30|
|18||+1||35th||1d6+12 per character level||max of 30d6+360 at character level 30|