Detect Magic (Bard Spell)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Range: 60 ft.
- Target or Area: Cone-shaped emanation
- Duration: Concentration
- Saving Throw: No saving throw granted
Save DC: -
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You detect magical auras. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject. This spell can be used out of combat, but it typically requires an inconveniently long time for a fast-moving situation like a Skill Challenge, such as attempting to decipher a magical puzzle room, or infiltrate a castle. Generally, this spell can be used once in such a situation, although the GM can adjudicate such things as they wish, of course.
- If used in combat, the results per round are as follows:
- 1st Round: Presence or absence of magical auras. This is extremely useful for alerting the caster to the presence of an invisible or magically disguised creature, although it gives little useful data beyond the presence of some sort of magic where, perhaps, there should be none. Against non-magical Stealth or Disguise rolls this is useless, of course.
- 2nd Round: Number of different magical auras and the general direction of the most potent aura. This can be useful for working out magical puzzle rooms or some sorts of magical traps.
- 3rd Round: The location of each aura within the target area. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Knowledge (Arcana) skill checks to determine more information about the spell or spell effect involved in each aura. (Make one check per aura: DC 10 + 4x spell level, or 10 + 2x caster level for a non-spell effect.) If the aura emanates from a magic item, you can attempt to identify its properties with a Bailiwick skill check (Divinity, Naturalism, Reason, Spellcraft, Spycraft, or Warfare).
- Magical areas, multiple types of magic, or strong local magical emanations may distort or conceal weaker auras.
- Outsiders and elementals are not magical in themselves, but if you cast detect magic while they are being summoned, the aura of the conjuration spell registers.
- Each round, you can aim Detect Magic at a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.
Mana Burn Circle Damage
|Spell Circle||Burn Cost||Req'd Char Level||Base Dice||Max Dice|
|0||N/A||N/A||1d4 per 2 character levels||max of 4d4 at character level 8|
|1||N/A||1st||1d6 per character level||max of 4d6 at character level 4|
|2||+1||3rd||1d6 per character level||max of 6d6 at character level 6|
|3||+1||5th||1d6 per character level||max of 10d6 at character level 10|
|4||+1||7th||1d6+1 per character level||max of 12d6+12 at character level 12|
|5||+1||9th||1d6+1 per character level||max of 15d6+15 at character level 15|
|6||+1||11th||1d6+2 per character level||max of 16d6+32 at character level 16|
|7||+1||13th||1d6+2 per character level||max of 20d6+40 at character level 20|
|8||+1||15th||1d6+3 per character level||max of 21d6+63 at character level 21|
|9||+1||17th||1d6+3 per character level||max of 25d6+75 at character level 25|
|10||+1||19th||1d6+4 per character level||max of 25d6+100 at character level 25|
|11||+1||21st||1d6+5 per character level||max of 25d6+125 at character level 25|
|12||+1||23rd||1d6+6 per character level||max of 27d6+162 at character level 27|
|13||+1||25th||1d6+7 per character level||max of 27d6+189 at character level 27|
|14||+1||27th||1d6+8 per character level||max of 29d6+232 at character level 29|
|15||+1||29th||1d6+9 per character level||max of 29d6+261 at character level 29|
|16||+1||31st||1d6+10 per character level||max of 30d6+300 at character level 30|
|17||+1||33rd||1d6+11 per character level||max of 30d6+330 at character level 30|
|18||+1||35th||1d6+12 per character level||max of 30d6+360 at character level 30|