Jump to navigation Jump to search
Condition Severity: Moderate
You have been knocked down to the ground (or voluntarily dropped down to the ground).
- You cannot leave your space voluntarily, except via teleport (If you teleport, you retain the condition in the new space), or to crawl.
- Crawling is a double-move action, allowing you to move 5 feet, which provokes, and you are still Prone when the move ends.
- You take a -4 penalty to AC versus melee attacks until the condition is cleared.
- You gain a +4 bonus to your AC versus ranged attacks until the condition is cleared.
- You take a -4 penalty to attack rolls until the condition is cleared.
- Spells cast while prone suffer a -4 penalty to any concentration checks.
- You cannot use any 2-handed weapons while Prone.
- If you voluntarily became prone, or if you have had a turn in which you had actions available to you since being made prone, you cannot be subjected to forced movement unless you wish to be.
If the ability, trap, or effect description includes specific directions for how the condition is ended, then that is the primary means of ending this condition. In many cases, it is the only way to end the condition. If nothing is specifically listed for ending the condition, then the following methods can be used to end it, instead:
- Move action to stand up, but provokes from threatening creatures as movement to leave a threatened square. Counts as a move action to move, preventing 5-foot steps this round.
- The penalty to your AC is cleared as soon as you begin your move action, meaning that attacks of opportunity made against you when you stand up do not gain the benefit of this penalty.
- Picking up dropped objects in your square can be done as part of this same move action to stand up from Prone, as long as you have one hand free for each object you are retrieving.
- Alternatively, an adjacent ally can spend a swift action to help you to your knees, costing you an immediate action as well, reducing the condition to Quelled. This action does not provoke for either you or the assisting ally.
- You can spend a move action to attempt an Escape Artist check against the Maneuver Defense of the creature who inflicted this status. If there is no creature involved, the target is a challenging DC based on the CR (challenge rating) of the effect. This DC increases by +2 for each additional creature which threatens you in your current space. If you succeed on the check, you may slide yourself 1 square as forced movement, and then stand up in that square, though this provokes from enemies who threaten the space you slide into. You may instead elect to remain prone, if you prefer. If you fail the check, you remain prone in your original space. You may retry this as often as you like, as long as you have sufficient actions to do so.
- If not cleared, Prone automatically ends at the end of the encounter.