Rain of Arrows (Ranger Poultice)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V, S, M (A quiver full of 20 arrows, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Long (200 ft. + 20 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: all creatures in target area (friend or foe) in a 35 foot radius, a 15 x 15 square area
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + 1/2 character level
- Spell Resistance: No
- This poultice is made of thorns, barbs, and spicules, combined with upflowing saps and gels, along with various aromatics essences and herbs. The holder of the poultice pours the concoction into a quiver of arrows in their hand. The holder strikes a clout archer's stance, the arrows in their back hand, their finger pointed skyward in the direction of the coming barrage. The holder evokes the sounds of a smashing barrage, whistling, whirring, crashing sounds, as they envision the coming destruction in their mind's eye. The quiver of arrows shudders and squirms, rattling and clattering, muscles straining to hold it, until with a convulsive snap, the holder hurls the activated poultice, in the shuddering quiver, at their target area.
- A mere instant later, a cloud of magical arrows rain down on any and all creatures and objects in the indicated area in a sudden, slamming rush. Spell resistance is useless, armor is useless, only a saving throw as defined above can reduce the merciless rain of arrows to half damage.
- The holder must have line of sight to the intended area, and it must lay under at least enough open space for the area of effect to clear vertically (75 feet or higher ceilings, unless the herbalist Ranger who makes the poultice is mad enough to increase the area with metamagic feats). The arrows deal (Circle 8 damage): 1d6+3 points of damage per character level (max 21d6+63 at character level 21) of spindling (physical, rare) damage to each creature in the area of effect. Note that a powerful Ranger is required to reach this full potential, see the circle damage rules for full details. All unattended objects between size Tiny and Large suffer one point of Siege Damage, regardless of Sunder DC.
- The magically conjured arrows are huge, stylized things, easily four feet long, more sharp than dreams, barbed like nightmares. The instant after they slam home in deadly concert, they vanish, leaving behind only the injured and dead.