Difference between revisions of "Talk:Alchemist"
|(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 14:39, 10 November 2019
Should probably rewrite the introductory paragraphs. They are currently cut/paste copies from the d20pfsrd.
courageous (1-5) bombs extracts discoveries pop rocks tweaking grand discovery I implements intrepid (6-10) mutagen mana burning grand discovery II poison resist I heroic (11-15) poison use venom sac grand discovery III poison resist II undaunted (16-20) eureka bombs I grand discovery IV poison resist III valorous (21-25) eureka bombs II grand discovery V extract accelerants poison immunity mythic (26-30) primal bombs I grand discovery VI eureka bombs III legendary (31-35) grand discovery VII primal bombs II eureka bombs IV humours
Grand Discoveries by Milieu: 1-5 - mutagenic immutability - infinite bombs - spontaneous formulation - laminated dermis 6-10 - alchemical abomination - protean resistance - midassian scion - hyper-tweaking 11-15 - mutagenic protean resistance - mad bomber - philosopher's stone - icarus ascendant 16-20 - sovereign solution - persistent spark - alchemical perfection - aura masking 21-25 - WHAT HATH SCIENCE WROUGHT? - carpet bomber - contagion - appendage asymmetry 26-30 - Recurring Mutation - spontaneous combustion - soulfire - acidic blood 31-35 - Unborn Horror - flesh warping - ascerbic venom - auto-cannibalism
Humours - Vitreous Humour - bonus melee attack at highest bab during full attack, even in mutagen form, stacks with haste. Cannot be used to throw bombs or make ranged attacks; only melee attacks. - Choleric Humour - any extracts that deal damage have their damage increased by the Alchemist's DEX score (not modifier). - Phlegmatic Humour - the alchemist's AC and FORT saves improve by +4 at all times (i.e., in their normal and mutagen forms). - Sangine Humour - the alchemist is immune to damage from their own bombs, even if primal. Furthermore, the alchemist can use a bomb to perform a 10' radius PBAOE centered on themselves, dealing full damage to all creatures in affected area; refl save for half (no to-hit roll).
New Class Features
- As a high-level class ability: "Overburn" - Allows an Alchemist to use extra casting slots they would normally gain from a high caster stat (int) but do not since their levels cap at six, as overburn slots for manaburning. IE, they can overburn slots they don't actually have
see extract accelerants, which will let them convert pop rocks to extract 'slots' for purposes of mana-burning (up to 3 per swift action, though they expire at the end of the round if unused, so you can't bank them up). It would be easy to increase the number per swift action at higher levels, if we feel like 3 is too small. However, it means they can mana burn 3 slots each round with a swift action forever, which is pretty powerful, IMO, since they aren't giving up any extract slots (other than the one they're using) each time.
- Alchemist's Fire (rename?) - (lvl 1) can create an infinite number of alchemist's fire (rename?) per day, but must use immediately
thought: instead of alchemist's fire, what if it's "Mini-Bombs", and they deal normal bomb damage but no longer splash, and can't be modified with discoveries?
- Poison Resistance I - (lvl 3) half CON mod (round down, min 1) bonus to all saves vs. poison
- Poison Resistance II - (lvl 11) never suffers damage from poison (though still affected by any conditions)
- Poison Resistance III - (lvl 17) can never be affected by the fruition of a poison
- Poison Immunity - (lvl 22) immune to all poisons.
- moved Mana Burning to level 9. Yikes!
- Venom Sac - this will become their ability to create a basic poison at-will. Can only be applied to their own weapons or natural attacks.
- Extract Accelerants - this will be a scaling pool of pseudo-extracts that the alchemist can use to mana burn their extracts. Only good for mana burning.
- Lesser Eureka Bombs - 2 bonus bombs per day (don't count against normal max) that can have up to two discoveries applied to them at once.
- Greater Eureka Bombs - +1 bomb per day, all can have up to 3 discoveries applied to them at once.
- Perfect Eureka Bombs - +1 bomb per day, all can have up to 4 discoveries applied to them at once.
- Paragon of Science I - add half CON mod to 1 saving throw of their choice (round down, min 1).
- Paragon of Science II - do it again. Either same save or a different one.
- Primal Bombs - slight change: uses a eureka bomb, makes it primal damage, but can only have 1 discovery applied to it (instead of 4).
Bomb Damage Draft
Alch Level Dmg/Lvl Int mod/bomb Bomb Damage Avg/Bomb 2/round avg 3/round avg 1 1d6+0 +5 Int 1d6+0 8.5 17 25.5 2 1d6+0 +5 Int 2d6+0 12 24 36 3 1d6+0 +5 Int 3d6+0 15.5 33 48.5 4 1d6+0 +5 Int 4d6+0 19 38 57 5 1d6+0 +5 Int 5d6+0 22.5 45 67.5 6 1d6+0 +5 Int 6d6+0 26 52 78 7 1d6+0 +5 Int 7d6+0 29.5 59 88.5 8 1d6+1 +5 Int 8d6+8 41 81 122 9 1d6+1 +6 Int 9d6+9 46.5 93 139.5 10 1d6+1 +6 Int 10d6+10 51 102 153 11 1d6+1 +6 Int 11d6+11 55.5 111 166.5 12 1d6+1 +7 Int 12d6+12 61 122 183 13 1d6+1 +7 Int 13d6+13 65.5 131 196.5 14 1d6+1 +7 Int 14d6+14 70 140 210 15 1d6+2 +7 Int 15d6+30 86.5 173 259.5 16 1d6+2 +8 Int 16d6+32 96 192 288 17 1d6+2 +8 Int 17d6+34 101.5 203 304.5 18 1d6+2 +9 Int 18d6+36 108 216 324 19 1d6+2 +9 Int 19d6+38 113.5 227 340.5 20 1d6+2 +10 Int 20d6+40 120 240 360 21 1d6+2 +10 Int 21d6+42 125.5 251 376.5 22 1d6+3 +10 Int 22d6+66 153 306 459 23 1d6+3 +10 Int 23d6+69 159.5 319 478.5 24 1d6+3 +11 Int 24d6+72 167 334 501 25 1d6+3 +11 Int 25d6+75 173.5 347 520.5 26 1d6+3 +11 Int 26d6+78 180 360 540 27 1d6+3 +12 Int 27d6+81 187.5 375 562.5 28 1d6+3 +12 Int 28d6+84 194 388 582 29 1d6+4 +13 Int 29d6+116 230.5 461 691.5 30 1d6+4 +13 Int 30d6+120 238 476 714 31 1d6+4 +14 Int 31d6+124 246.5 493 739.5 32 1d6+4 +14 Int 32d6+128 254 508 762 33 1d6+4 +15 Int 33d6+132 262.5 525 787.5 34 1d6+4 +16 Int 34d6+136 271 542 813 35 1d6+4 +17 Int 35d6+140 279.5 559 838.5
quantity of bombs
I suggest 8 bombs per day plus 1 additional bomb per milieu above courageous (i.e. 9 bombs at heroic (level 8), 10 at valorous (level 15), 11 at mythic (level 22), and 12 at legendary (level 29)).
if we go to 3 bombs per round (I assume that's for haste?), we might want to bump these up to +2 per milieu above courageous...
note that EUREKA bombs add another 9 at high levels
Discoveries and Grand Discoveries
- possibly rebuild discoveries to reduce quantity available, or even map it into the 4 choices at 4 levels (16 discoveries).
- alchemists get 1 grand discovery per milieu (in the middle levels of the milieu -- 4, 11, 18, 25, and 32. -- Need to review grand discoveries for appropriateness at all levels.
- update the infusion discovery to be just 1st and 2nd level extracts, and make more discoveries for sharing out higher level extracts.
- replace all the damage type bomb discoveries with "element bomb" "rudiment bomb" and "fundament bomb" discoveries, instead, where a single damage type of common/uncommon/rare energy is selected at time discovery is taken. Each can be taken more than once to select another damage type of the same commonality.
- grand discoveries could be a combination of several 'normal' discoveries -- e.g. 1 grand discovery = all 3 infusion discoveries; 1 grand discovery = greater and grand mutagen; 1 grand discovery = alchemical claws, prehensile organs, explosive halitosis, hyperextended joints. This would be in addition to the discoveries being available separately.
- are alchemists spontaneous casters (create extracts on the fly) or preparation casters (create extracts at the start of the day)? Currently, they are both, though they must have grand mutagen discovery to use (pre-prepared only) extracts in mutagen form.
Alchemist Example Builds
(not a legal build; needs reviewed)
Human, base stats: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, int 18, Wis 10, Chr 8.
1st Level: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot. Lets you put your bombs exactly where you want them
3rd Level: Weapon Focus:Bombs. Still making the bombs better.
5th Level: Extra Discovery: Acid Bombs*. Now that the bombs go where you want them, you start to make them nassssty.
7th Level: Dodge. A point of armor class and unlocks good stuff.
9th Level: Close Quarters Thrower. Throw bombs in melee!
11th Level: Charging Hurler. Lets you keep up with the first round rush and still attack.
13th Level: Far Shot. Throw bombs waaaay further and still hit.
15th Level: Mobility. Avoid those attacks of opportunity.
17th Level: Shot on the Run. Pop around a corner, throw a bomb, hide. So awesome.
19th Level: Clustered Shots. This lets you punch through DR like crazy.
2nd Level: Precise Bombs
4th Level: Explosive Bombs*
6th Level: Breath Weapon Bomb
8th Level: Fast Bombs
10th Level: Force Bomb*
12th Level: Demolition Bomb*
14th Level: Dispelling Bomb*
16th Level: Frost Bomb*
18th Level: Elixir of Life
20th Level: Fast Healing 5, Smoke Bomb*, Inferno Bomb*.
Human, base stats: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, int 18, Wis 10, Chr 8
1st Level: Dodge, Mobility. Move around in melee, get hit less, and melee sucks, you want the armor class bad.
3rd Level: Weapon Focus: Natural Attacks. Yeah, you wreck'em in melee, you betcha!
5th Level: Power Attack. Yeah, you wreck'em in melee, you betcha!
7th Level: Point Blank Shot. Still gotta work the bombs!
9th level: Toughness. Hit points, baby!
11th Level: Precise Shot. Workin' the bombs
13th level: Shot on the Run. The corner thing, so awesome.
15th Level: Rending Claws. Oh, yeah, even more melee damage
17th Level: Defensive Combat Training. Stops the bad guys from tackling you all the time
19th Level: Advanced Def Combat Training. No, seriously. Getting grappled sucks.
2nd Level: Alchemical Claw
4th Level: Spontaneous Healing
6th Level: Greater Mutagen
8th Level: Vestigial Arm
10th Level: Vestigial Arm
12th Level: Grand Mutagen
14th Level: Tentacle
16th Level: True Mutagen
18th Level: Nauseating Flesh
20th Level: Alchemical Abomination, Improved Alchemical Claw, Preserve Organs.