Small Air Elemental (CR 1)
Neutral - Small - Outsider (Elemental)
- Whether a patch of odd crystals in a ruined corridor, a pool of oddly turbulent water in a forest grove, a roaring breeze even indoors, or a cozy campfire with malevolent eyes, elementals can be found almost anywhere. Many elementals are spontaneous manifestations, creatures of elemental nature that have arisen from either natural or unnatural circumstance. Other elementals are deliberately made things, summoned or created by those with malevolent purpose, set as immortal guardians or stalkers of the world.
- Elementals may be fairly common or quite rare, depending upon the setting. In all cases, elementals provide plenty of challenges and fun for those heroic enough to face them.
- Air elementals seem like they should be invisible, since they are made of air, but their furious energy of movement and the vapors and debris they gather up make their location easily discerned. Air elementals are of uncertain shape and size, but striking true at their energetic core will see them dispatched just like any other monster.
- Init: +5
- Ambush Chance: 10+ on d20 (req's 1 minute prep)
- AC: 14
- Maneuver Defense (MD): 14
- Hit Points: 20 (Bloodied Value: 10) Hit Dice: 2
- Fort: +4 Refl: +4 Will: +1
- Special Defenses:
- Strong Against:
- (Elemental 1) Hardened (½ damage): precision damage, critical hits
- (Elemental 2) Immune (no effect): bleeds (bruised, bleed, ruptured), poisons (tainted, poisoned, blighted).
- (Elemental 3) Immune (no effect): magical sleep (drowsy, sluggish, asleep), paralyzed, stunned
- Immune (no effect): lightning (energy, common) damage
- Weak Against:
- Movement Types: Hover 30 ft.
- Space / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
- Standard Attack:
- 1x Gust +6 (1d4/19-20 x2) as slashing (physical, common)
- Full Attack:
- 3x Gust +6 (1d4/19-20 x2) as slashing (physical, common)
- Standard Ranged:
- 1x Blast of Wind +10 vs. AC (always hits on a 17+ on the die) (1d4/19-20 x2) as slashing (physical, common) (Increment: 50 ft.; Max Range: 100 ft.) ; Bull Rush
- Full Ranged:
- 3x Blast of Wind +10 vs. AC (always hits on a 17+ on the die) (1d4/19-20 x2) as slashing (physical, common) (Increment: 50 ft.; Max Range: 100 ft.) ; Bull Rush
- Maneuver Offense: +3
- Siege Damage: Not siege capable
- Str: 12 Dex: 17 Con: 12 Int: 4 Wis: 11 Cha: 11
- Languages: Auran
- Once per encounter as a full attack action, the air elemental may use Cyclone. It may make a half move without provoking attacks of opportunity, and move into or over enemy squares while doing so. When it stops moving, any enemy figure whose space is completely or partially inside the elemental's space is violently tossed into the air. The elemental may move any and all creatures affected by cyclone to any square adjacent to its space. This is considered a forced movement and does not provoke. All creatures moved in this way may make a Reflex save versus a DC of 13. If they fail this save, they are rendered Prone adjacent to the air elemental. Save or not, they take 1d4 points of lightning (energy, common) damage.
Bull Rush (Ex)
- Any creature which is struck by the air elemental's Blast of Wind Attack is also subject, as a triggered free action, to a Bull Rush attack, even if the Air Elemental is not adjacent to them. The Air Elemental rolls 1d20+4 vs the target's Maneuver Defense as normal, and the Bull Rush attempt is resolved in all other ways as normal, although it is highly unlikely the elemental will be within reach of any provoked attacks of opportunity.
- Air elementals have no solid form. They may squeeze as though two size categories smaller than their normal size with no penalties.
Windy Surrounds (Ex)
- Any spell, spell-like ability, feat, or other ability, which is affected by Gust of Wind (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), or similar effects, within 5 feet (1 squares), is affected as though affected by a Gust of Wind (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), as a free action, when in the presence of an Air Elemental.
- Air elementals are pugnacious, fearless things, but they fight smart. They will use Blast of Wind at range, all while moving closer. Once within range of a half-move, they will immediately use their Cyclone power in any combat to disrupt the most dangerous or most difficult to hurt enemies. After Cyclone, they will try to take full attacks with Gust, to maximize their damage. If they cannot hit with their Gust power, they will back away and switch back to Blast of Wind attacks. If they are taking damage and the fight looks lost, they will not hesitate to use their tremendous speed and maneuverability to withdraw.
Out of Combat
- Small Air Elementals are uncommon on the Prime Material plane unless summoned. In those cases, they are bound to the service of their summoner for some period of time (often until sunset or dawn of the same day, though sometimes as long as a year and a day, in the case of powerful bindings). Those who gain access to the Prime Material plane by themselves, or escape a binding rarely survive for more than a few weeks, as this plane is stifling and oppressively filled with obstacles and dirt and rocks.
- Air elementals are also frequently bound to objects, items, and locations for their useful properties. Cooling breezes, forced blast for forges, and ventilation for mines are among the duties forced upon bound air elementals. Such object bindings can last for a very, very long time, and it is possible to find Air Elementals in ruins and caves as they escape such bindings, sometimes centuries after they were summoned.
- In many cases, these unbound elementals achieve a kind of insanity before fading out, usually in their last few days before dying in this very inhospitable environment so far from their home. While so afflicted, they will attack aggressively, closing to use Gust for maximum damage, and will rarely withdraw.
- XP: 400
- Treasure: Sellable Goods worth 219 gp.
- Weight: 10 lbs. Volume: 0.4 cu. ft.
- Optional Treasure Rules: Roll on the following table once per encounter (NOT per creature). Any items discovered are in addition to the normal treasure for the encounter.
Table 1: Roll a d20: Result Remnant Found (If Any) 1 - 10 Nothing Found 11 - 14 1 Languid Remnant (tier 1) 15 - 17 1 Pale Remnant (tier 2) 18 - 19 1 Bright Remnant (tier 3) 20 Roll on Table 2 Table 2: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Languid Remnants (tier 1) 6 - 10 3 Pale Remnants (tier 2) 11 - 14 1 Intense Remnant (tier 4) 15 - 17 1 Blazing Remnant (tier 5) 18 - 19 1 Vital Remnant (tier 6) 20 Roll on Table 3 Table 3: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Bright Remnants (tier 3) 6 - 8 3 Intense Remnants (tier 4) 9 - 11 3 Blazing Remnants (tier 5) 12 - 14 3 Vital Remnants (tier 6) 15 - 17 1 Prime Remnant (tier 7) 18 - 19 1 Mythic Remnant (tier 8) 20 1 Empyrean Remnant (tier 9)