Neutralize Poison (Ranger Poultice)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V, S, M (A briquette of runed charcoal, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Touch
- Target or Area: one target creature, or one object of up to size-large
- Duration: Instant, or until the end of the current or next encounter (see text).
- Saving Throw: Harmless (Fortitude negates)
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- The holder of this poultice may detoxify any sort of venom in the creature or object touched. Neutralize poison can be used in one of four ways:
- Aid a Poisoned Creature: The holder can use Neutralize Poison on an allied or willing creature to attempt to remove any poison currently afflicting it.
- If used on a creature with the Tainted condition (typically caused by a weak poison), Neutralize Poison immediately ends the condition.
- If used on a creature with the Poisoned condition (typically caused by a moderate poison), Neutralize Poison grants the target one immediate bonus saving throw against the poison with a +2 Circumstance Bonus to the roll. This bonus increases by +1 per 10 character levels of the caster (i.e. +3 at 10th, +4 at 20th, and +5 at 30th). This bonus saving throw is made against the poison's save DC, and does not affect the poison's frequency in any way, nor does it cause the poison's effect to tick if failed. If the saving throw is successful, the poison is neutralized.
- If used on a creature with the Blighted condition (typically caused by a strong poison), Neutralize Poison grants the target one immediate bonus saving throw against the poison. This bonus saving throw is made against the poison's save DC, and does not affect the poison's frequency in any way, nor does it cause the poison's effect to tick if failed. If the saving throw is successful, the poison is neutralized.
- Immunize an Ally: The holder can activate the poultice Neutralize Poison on any willing creature they touch. If that creature is not already suffering from one of Tainted, Poisoned, or Blighted, they instead become immune to the next single application of poison made against them, as long as it occurs before the end of the next encounter. Note that this immunity is not against a type of poison, but only a single incident of becoming afflicted with a poison (gaining any of the Tainted, Poisoned, or Blighted status conditions).
- Purify an Object: The holder can use the Neutralize Poison poultice on an object (such as food or drink) containing poison. To do so, you must make a Maneuver Offense check, versus an Average DC for the CR (or CL) of the poison. If successful, the poison is nullified in the target object. Note that this check should be made by the GM in secret, because this plaster gives no indication of whether it was successful or not.
- Nullify an Enemy Creature's Poison: Finally, you can activate a Neutralize Poison poultice upon a poisonous creature or object held/worn/wielded by a creature by making a melee Touch Attack as part of the spell's casting. If you hit, the creature receives a FORT save to negate the effect. If the save is failed, the creature's poison is rendered harmless until the end of the current encounter. If cast outside of combat, it renders the poison ability harmless until the end of the next encounter, or the creature's next full night's rest, whichever is sooner. If the creature has more than one poison ability, then a single application of this poultice forces a save for 1 of its poison abilities per 15 character levels of the herbalist Ranger who made the poultice (i.e. 2 abilities must make saves if they are a 15th level Ranger, and up to 3 abilities must make a save if they are a 30th level Ranger). No single poison ability can ever be required to make more than one save from a single casting of Neutralize Poison.